Wednesday, September 12, 2012

It's expensive

I am surviving strep throat.  I still have very little voice.  My husband says it's kinda sexy.  My doctor said "Try not to talk".  RIGHT...I work with small children and have children of my own.

Right now I have no voice and I feel like ranting.  Gardening is expensive!  I mean, from the ground up, it costs $$$$.

To start with, the soil needs to be amended.  That means compost, nitrogen, and other additives to build up the soil for gardening, especially here in Florida.

So, let's talk about making compost.  A class at the local extension office costs $35.00 and you get a free compost barrel.  (I don't see that as free... I'm paying $35 for it).

You don't want any grass, or other unwanted pest, growing in the fresh new garden space; so, weed tarp.  OK, the price of weed tarps, when a large area needs to be covered, is ridiculous.  Nope, Nope, NOPE... can't make me.  Plus, that weed tarp doesn't last in this heat.  (I still like the newspaper idea, it is working great; just as long as enough paper is laid down.)

Mulch would be next.  I have three gardening spaces I am starting. All total, they are 1300 sq ft.  If I mulched them, at three inches deep, it would take 109 three-cubic-foot bags to cover.  (Thank you friendly garden calculator at http://www.gardenplace.com/content/calculator/mulch_calc.html#)  A bag of mulch will cost around $3.50, give or take.  So the grand total would be $381.50

We haven't even gotten to the plants yet!!  It is enough to make you change your mind about the hobby.  But, you don't garden because it's cost effective.  I remember as a kid, my Dad looking at an empty corner and saying, "Ya know what I could do here?"  He was a carpenter and he always had an idea.  I see yards on my drive home and think, "Ya know what I could do with that?"  I have been bitten by a bug just like my Dad had been.  You can't fight it.  While my family and I visit more nurseries and gardens, we will just have to be smart shoppers.  Like the five gallon Dutchman's pipe vine I picked up today for $3.00 (I am very tickled by this find)!

But it's still expensive!

Happy gardening and planting!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I think that's why I get so tickled when I'm able to propagate something (anything) from seed or cutting.

    And we compost nearly everything since I am having to constantly amend the soil here in my Lakeland home. Wont even admit what we paid for our fancy continuous compost bin.

    I usually justify my "gardening" expenses by pointing out that I'm not into jewelry or clothes or shoes or bags. . . etc. I haven't been to a mall in years - but I'm at a garden center or nursery nearly every weekend. LOL

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you

      I am still trying to get the gardening expenses added as a separate line on the budget but my other half is not buying into it. I agree I would rather a beautiful flower then the jewelry.

      Delete