Sunday, May 6, 2012

Soil testing

First math, next chemistry.  This is getting good!  I picked up a soil test kit from a garden center and played mad scientist.  The kids found it great fun watching the vials change colors.  I expected a real mess with soil and water, but it wasn't.


After testing, we discovered the soil is pH 7, right at neutral. The pH tests with soil and water mixed. Testing the nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium was a little different.  The test has you place a special tablet into the soil and water mix and you test from that water.

Our nitrogen is just about non-existent, so we will have to add some of that.  This is normal for Florida soil; along with phosphorus and potassium.  What surprised me, was our phosphorus and potassium is at the highest level!  I am not sure if I did the test wrong, or if we really do have good soil.  The old story about this area says it was farm land.  Perhaps that is why the soil tested so nicely.

I decided to go back and check a different spot in the yard just to check.  I took a picture of the out comes this time.  The results where a little different.  The second spot was only about 20 ft. away.  The pH is up by one point, and the phosphorus is a little lower.  Just goes to show that the yard is not created equal.


The University of Florida IFAS will test your soil pH.  The test is $3.00, and $7.00 for pH and macro nutrient test.  I think I may go ahead and pay for the analysis just to see what it is all about.

http://soilslab.ifas.ufl.edu/ESTL%20Tests.asp.  This web page may help you with some extra information.





No comments:

Post a Comment