Thursday, May 3, 2012

Size... Does it really matter?


To create a great garden, I need to find out about the space available.  It is very small.  I have been reading up on a lot of home garden blogs trying to get ideas and information.  Man, some of those yards are AMAZING!  I have a back yard measuring 16 ft. by 56 ft., or 896 sq. ft.  Not so amazing.  Plus, we want to create a small patio that will be about 140 sq. ft. in some way, shape, or form. We have to finish that little piece of design planning.  The downfall to having two creative minds and one of them being indecisive (me).

What is the recommended size for a butterfly garden?  Well I, asked my good friend Google and this is what he found; http://www.ehow.com/facts_7717652_recommended-size-butterfly-garden.html.  10 ft. by 12 ft is what they say, but any size will do.  You can even create a butterfly garden with container plants.  That brought to mind the apartment my Mother-in-Law had a while back.  She had a second story place with a balcony.  Every inch was filled with potted plants, her own personal jungle.  I remember a visit with her one summer.  Early in the morning I was sitting on the couch with the baby (why do they always wake up so early) and we watched a hummingbird exploring her flowers on the balcony!  Yes, a great garden can even happen on a balcony.

So my little "not-so-amazing" yard really can turn into something amazing.  The square footage doesn't matter.  What matters is that we have a plan to create a flowering work of art.  My daughter and I know what plants we like.  We are researching what plants are native to our area so they will survive and produce well.  Our little space will turn into a safe haven for fairies... I mean butterflies... and bring us joy all year.   I am so excited!



3 comments:

  1. Hi, Crybrug...thought I might help you just a little on your butterfly garden quest. I can tell you what has been the super, toughest, most amazing butterfly magnets in my garden. I only like tough plants by the way. Might give a little fertilizer and compost and lots of water in the beginning, then they must fend for themselves. The #1 must have is Hamelia patens (aka Firebush or Hummingbird Bush): the butterflies love it. Jatropha and Duranta erecta (Golden Dewdrop) also necessary. These are all cold-tender but bounce back from winter damage. For winter flyers, plant bottlebrush and Florida cracker roses ('Louis Philippe'), as they are evergreen and have year-round bloom flushes, when other things are fried from frost damage. (The Florida cracker rose is my favorite plant on earth and I think you need it since you are one...) Pentas are lower-growing and will usually return from winter damage in the spring; definitely a necessity. Another tough perennial is Mealy Cup Sage. A passionvine could be snaked up a trellis. Oh, and I would never garden without soap aloes...super tough and they will keep the hummers happy when in bloom. Just a few thoughts.... Good luck!

    Nice to find another Florida blog....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the advice. I had not thought of growing a rose until I saw the Florida cracker rose this week. I am glad to know it will fit into our "theme". The Aloe is a great idea I wouldn't have thought of.
    Thank you very much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Floridagirl about the Hamelia patens. It is a butterfly and hummingbird magnet. I also have Jatropha and Duranta erecta and butterflies love them too. Yes, you being a FL cracker, must have Louis Philippe rose.

    I will have to look up soap aloes.

    I'm also glad to see another FL blog.

    Happy gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete