Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Time and ignorance

A few months ago, my husband had picked up a butterfly bush for my daughter and I to help start our butterfly garden.  I had never seen a plant like it.  He said it must not be native if I didn't know what it was... LOL.  Well I still thought it was pretty, and put it out front until I could decide where to plant it.  Well, in the matter of a few days, it started to die off.  I felt really bad about it.  I put it off to the side and hoped maybe it will come back; if nothing else, I will just reuse the pot.

As time passed, the bush started coming back, slowly.  I watched as the leaves started growing and finally a bloom began.  Low, and behold, time heals all wounds; even ignorance on plant care.  The plant turns out to be a pink Buddleja, or Buddleia.


It is native to Asia and can be invasive (oh, of course it is; cause I like it!) like this page states http://insects.about.com/od/butterfliesmoths/qt/substitutes-for-butterfly-bush.htm.

Well, I can't tell you how excited I was when a new bloom showed up on the plant.  This bloom was red and shaped differently.


Salvia! Salvia Coccinea was growing in there also!  Yes!  This is one of the plants we are planning for the butterfly garden.  Really it will be the main plant, since the daughter and I find them so beautiful.  I believe the plant originated in Mexico, but it is on the http://www.fnps.org/plants/specieslist/Pasco list for butterflies!


3 comments:

  1. The one major thing I learned from my Mom when it came to gardening is patience. I can't begin to tell you how many plants I tossed when they either started to die or looked like they were dying . . . . Now I know better. Your Buddleia bloom is beautiful. I live in central Florida and I have several of these - and I promise you, not the least bit invasive here. And the butterflies do love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli I really do like the plant and my husband was trying so hard to help. Now patience that is the hard part for me...

      Oh and thanks for the link.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking you probably read this since it's in your blog roll . . . but just in case. It's much more informative than my rambling about butterfly bushes. : )

    http://lepcurious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete